Longholes has a long history; it was founded by Sir George Bullough in the 1920s and passed via his daughter to the Hon John Lambton. On John Lambton's death the stud was bought by Sheikh Fahad Al Thani who, preserving its rich heritage of historic buildings, has made a significant investment to transform Longholes into one of the premier preparation and rehabilitation yards in the country. Longholes can either continue in its current role, be a boarding stud, a stallion station, or a self contained training yard.
On the Newmarket to Cheveley Road, the B1063, only two miles from the centre of Newmarket, Longholes is in prime stud farm country, surrounded as it is by Side Hill, Cheveley Park and Beech House Studs, this is a rare opportunity to own a first-rate stud farm in a first-rate location. The racecourses, Tattersalls and the training yards are all nearby as are some of the world's best equine vets. Newmarket's sobriquet of Headquarters is well justified.
Longholes, with 217 acres, has been designed particularly as a centre for the spelling, rehabilitation, pretraining, and care of racehorses however, it could easily be adapted for use as a private or commercial stud farm. The principal houses are for the manager and for the owner's use while visiting the property and there is ample staff accommodation.
The original stud buildings have been adapted, and while retaining the original charm of the Suffolk barn, the majority of the stables are now in light and airy new barns.
The exercise and turn out areas are exceptional for any stud farm, including an oval all-weather canter and a 6-furlong gallop.
The paddocks are arranged traditionally so that the nursery paddocks are closest to the stud buildings; and there are about 110 acres of additional pasture which are used for schooling and for forage. They simply require fencing to bring into stud use.
(refer to numbers on the detailed plan)
Approached by a driveway from the road which forks left to the main yard and right to the new yards, take the left fork.
(see also the relevant floor plans)
1. Flint Cottage, the manager's house of brick and flint under a slate roof with sitting room, kitchen/dining room, utility room and WC on the ground floor and 3 bedrooms and a bath room on the first floor. There is a pretty garden.
2. Longholes Cottage, near the offices, an attractive, and extremely comfortable 2-bedroom bungalow with a veranda, hall, cloakroom, and a generously proportioned reception room with kitchen area and boot room. There are two double bedrooms each with bath or shower rooms ensuite.
3. Nos 1 and 2 Longholes Stud Bungalows, A pair of semi-detached bungalows, each with sitting room, 3 bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom. Both are about 900sq ft and have their own gardens.
4. The Log Cabins, A pair of Finnlog cabins by the Top Yard constructed in 2015 as housing for staff. Each has a lobby with a shower room off, a generous sitting room with a kitchen area off, a bathroom and 4 bedrooms.
5. The Office. To the left of Flint Cottage, with office, two stores and WC.
The Lower Yards - (36 Boxes)
6. The Lower Courtyard, Flanked by two pairs of boxes, the Lower Yard is an attractive 10-box yard with a staff/tack room and central flower bed. Outside the yard are 2 'Cottage' boxes.
7. The Hydro Barn, an impressive unit of 4½ bays, currently fitted with: a salt therapy chamber, Icelander water treadmill with filter and plant machinery, wash down bay and 2 ECB Equine Spas.
8. The Suffolk Barn, A 9-bay timber barn on a brick and flint base with a slate roof, housing a fluid motion treadmill, Vitafloor plate and a tack room.
9. A Dutch Barn of 6 bays used for equipment storage.
10. Lunge Ring, Covered Horse Walker (5 Bays), Triangular all-weather loose school and trot up area.
11. Hangar Barn with 5 internal boxes and 3 brick stallion boxes.
12. An open fronted range of 4 boxes opening onto the drive.
13. The 12 box Yard, A light airy yard with 12 cage boxes under an open fronted roof. In addition is a staff, tack and mess room.
The Top Barns (40 Boxes)
The Top Barns were built in 2015 to double the capacity of the stud. These are impressive new buildings
14. 2 Stable Barns, each with 12 bays, of brick and part-rendered sides, under sheet steel roof with box profile cladding. The barns each house 20 boxes of 14' x 14'; with feed, tack, rug rooms and wash bays. There is a WC in the left hand barn.
15. Hay and Straw Barn of 5 bays of concrete panels with box profile cladding and gale breaker screening one side. Machinery store of 2 bays of block with sheet cladding and roller doors one side.
16. Covered Lunge Ring, 20m diameter
17. Covered Oval Horse Walker by Kraft with 10 bays.
18. An Oval 2½ furlong (500m) all weather canter, fully railed with racecourse rails.
19. Mobile Home
20. Plant room and Electrical Sub-Station
At the top boundary of the paddocks:
21. The Isolation Boxes. A range of 12 timber boxes, close to the northern edge of the stud; with separate access to the gallop and grounds.
Well accessed, within a ring fence a total of 217 acres, the original stud is extremely well fenced with 31 paddocks. The land is on free draining, on chalk and is South facing.
There is a 6 furlong woodchip gallop running uphill alongside an open area of schooling grounds, which, with a separate access off the Ashley Road could easily be railed for further paddocks. Subject to planning approval this area is suitable for a further range of stud buildings.
METHOD OF SALE - Longholes Stud is offered for sale as a whole or in 2 lots, by private treaty. Offers for the pasture and schooling grounds (edged blue on the site plan) will only be considered once a sale has been agreed of the stud buildings and around 91 acres (edged red on the site plan).
COUNCIL TAX, EPC AND OCCUPANCIES - Refer to the particulars.
TENURE AND POSSESSION - The freehold is available with vacant possession subject to the occupancies described. The property is held in two titles.
SERVICES - All dwellings have oil fired central heating. There is mains water throughout and mains drainage, with the exception of Flint Cottage and the Hydro barn, which have a septic tanks and the Top Yard which has a soakaway. There is mains electricity throughout, with the Top Yard, Suffolk barn and Hydro barn having a 3-phase supply.
SPORTING, MINERALS AND TIMBER - The sporting rights, the minerals and timber in so far as they are owned are included in the sale.
PLANNING AND OCCUPANCY CONDITIONS - The property is offered for sale subject to any current or past development plans, tree preservation orders, town planning schedules, applications, permissions and resolutions which may or may not have come into force.
1 and 2 Longholes Stud (the log cabins) have been erected under an approval granted in 2015. In particular: the occupation of the log cabins shall be limited to those working on Longholes Stud.
LOCAL AUTHORITY - East Cambridgeshire District Council, Nunholt Lane, Ely, CB7 4EE Tel: 01353 665555
BUSINESS RATES - Rateable Value £51,000. The rates payable for 2020/21 are £26,316. Current multiplier: 51.6 in the £.
EMPLOYEES - Where appropriate, the Purchaser will be responsible for complying with statutory provisions of the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulation 2006. (TUPE) In relation to employees at the property.
BASIC PAYMENT SCHEME (BPS): - The subsidy for the current year will be retained by the vendor. The vendor will use reasonable endeavours to arrange the transfer of the BPS Entitlements to the purchaser with effect from the date of completion. The purchaser will indemnify the vendor in respect of all actions, costs claims and demands made in respect of any failure on the part of the purchaser to comply with the cross-compliance regulations for current year. There are 28.42 Ha. of entitlements.
VAT - Any price guide given or discussed is exclusive of VAT. In the event that the sale of the property or any part thereof or any right attached to it becomes a chargeable supply for the purpose of VAT, such tax will be payable in addition.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS - The fixtures, fittings and equipment may be available to purchase at a reasonable valuation; however, they are not necessarily included in the sale of the property.
BOUNDARIES, PLANS, AREAS, SCHEDULES AND DISPUTES The Boundaries are based on the Ordnance Survey and are for reference only. The Purchaser will be deemed to have full knowledge of the boundaries and any error or mistake shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to ompensation thereof. Should any dispute arise as to the boundaries or any points arise on the general remarks and stipulations, particulars, schedules, plan or the interpretation of any of them, such questions shall be referred to the selling agents whose decisions acting as an expert shall be final.
SOLICITORS - Pinsent Masons LLP, 30 Crown Place, Earl Street, London, EC2A 4ES Contact: Richard Hart, Tel: 0207 054 2667
VIEWING - Viewing is strictly by appointment with either
Windsor Clive International (01672 521155) or
Knight Frank - (01279 213343)
HEALTH AND SAFETY - When viewing please be aware that Longholes is a working property with horses and prospective purchasers should not enter boxes or paddocks unless accompanied by the agent or a member of staff.
PHOTOGRAPHS Taken March 2017, May and November 2019 PARTICULARS Prepared March 2020
DIRECTIONS (POST CODE: CB8 9EJ)
From Newmarket clock tower take Cheveley Road for around ½ a mile before turning left on to Ashley Road for 1¾ miles. The entrance to Longholes is on the left. Park by the office.
Windsor Clive International and Knight Frank give notice to anyone who may read these Particulars as follows:
1. These particulars are for guidance only. They are prepared and issued in good faith and are intended to give a fair description of the property but do not constitute part of an offer or contract.
2. Any description or information given should not be relied on as a statement or representation of fact or that the property or its services are in good condition. Neither Windsor Clive International, Knight Frank nor any of their employees have any authority to make or give any representation or warranty in relation to the property.
3. Any reference to alteration to, or use of, any part of the property is not a statement that any necessary planning, building regulations or other consent has been obtained. These matters must be verified by any intending purchaser.
4. The plan included with these particulars is for identification purposes only and is based on the Ordnance Survey. Where revisions have been made by the Agents a full land survey has not been carried out, consequently where enclosures have been divided or altered, the position of the new boundaries together with the plotting of any new or altered building and any other information, whilst believed to be basically correct, are indicative only.
+44 (0) 1672 521155